Roasted Bananas with Chocolate
- 4 bananas all yellow, without brown flecks
- 50 grams chocolate bar Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate melts nicely and taste great
- Heat the oven to 180° C.
- Cut the bananas along one side from the tip to the stem; don’t cut all the way through.
- Break the chocolate into small squares.
- Stuff the bananas with chocolate pieces. You need only 3 – 4 pieces for each banana.
- Bake the bananas in the oven for approx 12 – 15 minutes. (The time will vary depending on the size of your bananas so keep an eye on them. Once their skin becomes black all around they are done.)
- Let the bananas rest for 5 minutes before serving (they will be extremely hot).
- Optionally, serve warm bananas with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
About the Recipe
Roasted bananas in the oven was one of my favourite quick desserts when I was a student. We favoured this particular recipe with my housemates at our student dinner parties.
A few years later, and I often make this recipe with my children. My elder son loves them so much that he can eat 2 whole bananas in one go!
This quick banana dessert is super easy to make and it is cheap too. In addition, serving black baked bananas with melted chocolate catches people attention. When hosting a large group of people, the trick is to cut bananas in half. This way you can double the number of servings.
I recommend this tasty dessert for any dinner party, kids birthdays or just as a simple dessert for big and little ones alike. You can still surprise your guests with homemade treat even when you are afraid to bake, or you are short with time.
Accompany your bananas with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream and I can guarantee that this dessert won’t stay in the bowls for very long.
How to Bake Bananas?
In this recipe, I bake bananas in the oven with the skin on. It is easier to stuff them with chocolate, and I think, serving completely black bananas is eye-catching.
How Long to Bake Bananas for?
I bake small sized bananas for 12 minutes. You know they are done once the skin gets black all the way around.
What to Fill the Bananas with?
If you are going to peel the bananas and bake them in a skillet, you can experiment with all sorts of ingredients. Honey, cinnamon, maple syrup, rum, brown sugar, peanut butter, nuts (walnuts or hazelnuts) or even marshmallows are all excellent choices.