PEA AND HAM SOUP
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 l ham stock
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium potato
- frozen peas
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbps fresh mint handful
- ham decoration
- 100 ml double cream decoration
- Finely chop the onion and cut the potato into small cubes.
- Fry the onion.
- Once the onion has softened, add the chopped potato and garlic then fry for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour over the stock and cook on a moderate heat for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the frozen peas and mint to the pot and boil for an additional 3 – 4 minutes (don’t boil the soup for too long as the mint would lose its nice fresh flavour and the pea’s bright green colour).
- Blend the soup (use a hand blender or a stand blender, whichever you have available).
- Decorate the soup with a splash of cream and diced ham on top and serve with bread.
About the Recipe
This frozen peas and gammon is easy peasy to make and taste truly delicious. It is an especially lovely meal to make if you have some leftover ham. I think using stock and leftovers from a smoked gammon joint is ideal.
When we make a gammon joint for our dinner I always keep the liquid and some offcuts from the meat for this delightful soup. If you don’t make the soup within the next couple of days it’s better to freeze the leftovers and defrost them once you want to use them.[/vc_column_text]
The soup tastes good warm or cold and it makes a nice light lunch or a starter. One thing we found is that this soup tastes even better the next day. As the soup doesn’t take long to make it’s an ideal recipe for a quick family dinner in 30 minutes. You can transform it into a filling and satisfying main meal if you serve it with toasted cheese sandwiches. Your little eaters will certainly reward you with very green, happy smiles.