I truly like this simple strawberry and cream cake recipe. This cake is very easy to make at home. It doesn’t require any advanced baking skills and it’s good, even for a complete beginner. It’s my go to if I don’t have lots of time and I need to make something quick without too much preparation or headache.
I bake the cake in the morning, decorate once it’s completely cool just before lunch and we can enjoy it with our coffee after a meal.
The recipe is inspired by Marry Berry’s Victoria sponge cake. I like the simplicity of it and ease of its method as well.
For the main mixture, you need 5 ingredients. Marry Berry recommends mixing all components together in one bowl with an electric mixer which is amazingly quick. I bake my cake in a round 20 cm tin. The sponge rises nicely so it’s easy to cut the cake horizontally in a half with a long sharp knife and fill it with whipped cream. I spread the filling over the top of the cake as well and decorate it with fresh strawberries. As a final touch, I put some daisies between the strawberries as you can see in the pictures. They are so charming to look at and on top of it, they are edible!
I have added a few twists to this recipe that don’t follow Mary Berry’s advice. Firstly I don’t use 2 teaspoons of baking powder but only 1.5 spoons as I found 2 spoons to be too much and I can taste it in the cake.
Secondly, I use only one 20 cm tin and not two as it’s advised in the cookbook. I don’t have 2 exactly same sandwich tins even though I bake quite often and I don’t see any problem with either leaving the cake intact or cut it in half horizontally as it has a good height.
The last change is that I prefer to bake my cake on 150º C instead of pre-heating the oven to 180º C as stated in the book. As I am using only one tin I have more cake mixture in it which requires a longer time to bake. The lower temperature prevents the cake from burning and helps the sponge to raise more evenly without creating a dome shape in the middle.
The combination of the sweet sponge, fluffy cream and fresh strawberries is luscious and delightful. This easy cake always makes a good impression on any occasion. It is just perfect!
Simple and Easy Homemade Strawberry and Cream Cake Recipe
This is very easy cake to make at home. It needs only basic ingredients and doesn’t require any fancy techniques. It’s no fuss, simple all in one cake recipe from scratch that makes you happy.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
Fillig and Decorating
- 300 ml whipping cream (2x)
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 400 g strawberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 150º C. Grease the tin and line the bottom with a baking paper.
- Measure all ingredients into a large bowl and beat them together until they are properly combined and fluffy.
- Pure the mixture into the tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for about 55 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then take out and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cool you can cut the cake with a long knife horizontally in half.
Filling and Decorating
- With an electric whisk whip first cream and 2 tablespoons of icing sugar until it creates stiff peaks and folds. Don’t over whisk as it would make a butter.
- Spread the whipped cream over one half of the cake and sandwich the second sponge on top of it.
- Whisk the remaining cream and sugar and spread it over the top.
- Decorate the top of the cake with strawberries.
The cake is done when the sponge shrinks from the edge of the tin a bit and the cake springs back if you gently press it. Another method is to use a cake tester, which can be a simple toothpick. It should come out clean when inserted into the centre of the sponge.