CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Easy to make creamy cauliflower soup served with crispy croutons and parmesan that you can enjoy as a light dinner or a tasty starter.
I like to save myself some cooking time during the week and make this creamy cauliflower soup at the same time while I make my cauliflower bake as both recipes use pretty much same ingredients. If you decide to do the same, start with the cauliflower bake and put it to the oven first. While the cauliflower bake is sizzling in the oven make the soup. Now, you have two options either you can cook the soup from scratch using raw ingredients and follow the exact method above or you can use a small shortcut and cook cauliflower and 2 potatoes for the soup with the cauliflower and potatoes for the bake. In that case, instead of raw ingredients you’ll be using already cooked potatoes and cauliflower in the soup recipe. In this scenario, you have an opportunity to reuse boiled cauliflower water instead of pouring it away and you can shorten the boiling time to just 5 – 10 minutes just to cook the flour and let the bay leaf releases its flavour. Except for these few small changes you can follow the method above.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cauliflower or 1/2 of extra large
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbs gluten-free flour or normal flour if you don’t mind gluten
- 1 l water or leftover cauliflower water, see the note below
- 1 organic vegetable stock cube
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 150 g cream cheese Philadelphia
- 1/2 tsp ground caraway seeds
- ground pepper
- Finely chop the onion and peel the garlic.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower and cut potatoes into cubes.
- Dissolve 1 vegetable stock in 1 litre of water (or use the leftover cauliflower water, see the note).
- Fry the onion in a pot. Once the onion start browning add the chopped cauliflower and potatoes. Continue frying for another 2 – 3 minutes, then sprinkle flour over the top and stir.
- Pour the stock in. Add bay leaf, a pinch of nutmeg and 1/2 tsp of ground caraway seeds.
- Crush the garlic in and season with salt.
- Cook until potatoes are soft approx. 15 – 20 minutes (or 5 – 10 minutes if you are using already pre-cook potatoes and cauliflower, see the note below).
- Before you blend the soup remove the bay leaf.
- Add cream cheese and blend the soup either using a hand blender or a stand mixer.
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 239mg | Potassium: 649mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 336IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg